CONSERVATION & ENHANCEMENT PROJECTS
- Funding to Save Our Seine River Environmental Inc. for a summer student under the Urban Green Team Program and for an engineering study that assesses the feasibility of the syphon for fish passage under the floodway.
- Funding for upgrades to the docks and boat launches at Tokaryk and Patterson lakes.
- Funding to remove trash from the Red River shoreline.
- Funding of research to reintroduce the lake sturgeon to the Assiniboine River.
- Funding for a River Interpreter position with the City of Winnipeg who educates the public about the fisheries in the Red and Assiniboine Rivers.
- Funding for the installation of a fish-friendly culvert and the construction of riffle structures on Normand Creek.
- Support for the Lake Winnipeg Research Consortium and the Namao.
- Participation in the Winnipeg Fish Festival and Fall Urban Fishing Derby.
- Lobbied to implement a catch and release regulation for channel catfish in excess of 24 inches.
- Lake of the Prairies creek census and angler education project.
- Support of a walleye spawn taking project at Lonely Lake Drain on Lake Manitoba.
- Research and angling curriculum development at Fort Whyte Centre
- Purchase and installation of four limno corrals for stocking walleye in Star, Betula, Brereton and White Lakes.
- Stocking and marking of 12,000 walleye fingerlings into Betula Lake.
- Support of work by Dr. Terry Dick on sturgeon research and release on the Assiniboine River.
- Partnership with the Manitoba Canada Forestry Agreement to support a three-year study that resulted in the report “Evaluation of Fisheries and Aquatic Values in the Pine Falls Paper Company Forest Management Area”.
- Submission of briefs to the Clean Environment Commission public hearings on water quality objectives for the watershed classification of the Red and Assiniboine Rivers within and downstream of Winnipeg.
- Participation in a zebra mussel educational program including roadside signs.
- Habitat enhancement project at Caux Falls on the Whiteshell River.
- Funding for the Brokenhead River Watershed Management Study.
- Funding of a study to assess the fish ladder at Lockport.
- Funding and operation of the Red River shoreline clean-up and maintenance in the Lockport and Selkirk area.Operation of a fisheries interpretive centre at Lockport.
- Funding public service announcements on radio and TV that promote catch and release and proper fish handling.
- Spawning habitat enhancement project on Falcon Creek.
- Funding of fish ladder construction on Sturgeon Creek
Click here to go back to Program and Scholarships